Thursday, February 4, 2010

The ethics of what we don't eat

So I have been chowing away now the past few nights on the all vegetarian food buffets that line the streets of luang probang... And let me just say that if American vegetarian cooks could get their grub to taste this good, I would have lasted a lot longer as a vegetarian than the 29 days that I did manage... I am talking about a flavor that I did not know was possible... Some secret ingredient that makes a piece of squash spring to life and potatoes dance in my mouth, preforming some sort of ancient tribal ceremony of taste with the beans and noodles around the campfire that is my palette...  High notes of spice meangly with hints of salt and sugar perfectly balanced in Buddhist like harmony with earthy and rustic tones upon the fulcrum of some ancient wisdom, some long hidden and highly coveted secret.... A secret so powerful, so epic, it would not only shake the very landscape of California cusinee, it would alter the very foundations of perceptions of taste; engulfing even the city on a hill that is Che penice, rudicing it to no more than a roadside stand visited only by paupers so destitute that they can afford nothing better to feed there four legged companions... What is this culinary atomic bomb you ask? So secret is it that even most of the initiated only know it by a code name, and only the truly wise members of the cult of scientific worshipers know it by it's true name, still remote fewer understand it's true meaning... One which I will not dare to utter here... I will give you only its nickname, its street name if you will.... Three simple yet life changing letters...
MSG
If indeed the vegetarian life is the better, more socially responsible, and ethically superior form of existence than that of the carnivorous majority... Let us reconsider the ethics if what we eat, or rather in this case, what we don't... We must reconsider this magical chemical able to imbue vegetables with the power to transcend their meager lot on the spectrum that is taste... For if the world truly stands upon the brink of ruin in terms of unsustainable food production, a time may come to pass that MSG shapes the future of us all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment