Wednesday, January 13, 2010

$25 Underwear

Well, I'm getting closer and closer to the big departure and in the course of all of my preparation, I think that I have stumbled upon a new masters thesis... why white people feel great about buying $25 underwear so long as the brand is EXOFFICIO... I mean come on... here I am looking in guidebooks for the cheapest tuk-tuk, crossing off possible guesthouses because they cost and extra $2 a night, looking for the cheapest place to buy bottled water in Chaing Mai so I can save 1.8 cents a purchase, yet sitting in my REI designer backpack is $50 in underwear... for 2 freaking pairs...and why, oh, why do i think that that is acceptable in my mind...BECAUSE, this underwear dries really quickly....Dries really quickly you say? YES, dries really quickly!!!! And every other liberal, granola, wannabe hill man out there is so with me on this one, because yah... they might be $25 bucks a pair, but they dry REALLY quickly!!! Forget about the fact that for the same price I could literally turn normal underwear into single use underwear (by this I mean i could put on a brand new pair, wear for a day, defecate in them, chuck em, and repeat)... cause man... do these ones dry quickly... I find it so very interesting that we all wear goodwill clothes with a certain badge of smug honor, scorning those dumb bitches who spend their hard earned greenbacks at designers stores, yet when it comes to REI, ridiculous prices there get a pass, and not just a pass, but a high five... cuz man... those threads, they dry like super fast...
Although I must admit, the idea of finding a pair Exofficio underwear at the goodwill... wow... if only i didn't have a phobia of wearing second hand drawers...

As an afterthought: along these same lines is my $200 flashlight which doubles as a meat tenderizer (especially meat still attached to a would be assailant) which i just spent $18 on for new batteries!

2 comments:

  1. I think you've just come up with an additional chapter for "Rugged Consumers: Americans' Consumption of Outdoor and Wilderness Ideals."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, you are missing the fact that there are any number of people who have $25 underwear that do NOT dry quickly. I'd say you still came out on top...

    ReplyDelete